The wealthy miller Konrad Eberhard Hübsch fulfilled the wish of the Lutheran Protestants to have their own church. He donated this house in Obere Kirchgasse 20 to the Lutheran community and had it converted to a church in 1784, in the baroque style.
After the Reformation, Protestants had split into two different groups, the so-called “Reformed” movement and the “Lutherans”. The larger “Reformed” group remained in St.Vitus Church, a simultaneum church used by both Roman Catholics and Protestants.
At first the Lutheran community was very small. In 1700 it only had 16 members, but by 1780 it had grown to around 100 members. Before they had their own church, they had worshipped in private houses and later on in the “Golden Lamb” inn in Pfarrgasse.
A turret was built on the front gable side of the building, with a cross and weather vane on top. The turret once housed two bells, both of which were made by the Heidelberg bell foundry Anselm Speck in 1784. Both bells still exist, but one is now in the Protestant church in nearby Wilhelmsfeld and the other in a church in the Heidelberg district of Emmertsgrund.
In 1821, the Lutherans and the „Reformed“ united to form the Evangelical-Protestant Church in Baden. For some years this building was used as a church hall, prayer room and practice hall for choirs. The building was sold in 1865 and is now in private hands.