This building was purchased in 1725 by Friedrich Waldmann, and at the time it was called the „Golden Plough“ inn. Baroque-style alterations were made to the building in 1732. Its large vaulted cellar indicates that the building is much older. Friedrich Waldmann’s name appears on the wedge above the arched entrance to the yard, and his initials FWM above the steps going down to the wine cellar, together with the date 1732.
Heinrich Weigel purchased the inn in 1919 and renamed it „Old Handschuhsheim“, the name it still has today. In local dialect, “Hendesse” is the name used for Handschuhsheim.
The building along the side of the street was used as an inn and for living purposes, and there used to be a huge barn at the rear of the site. Apart from the wine cellar already mentioned, there is a second wine cellar, a vegetable cellar and a wine press room in the former barn.
Who would need so much room and such a finely built house? As the sheriff, the original owner Friedrich Waldmann collected tithes (tax) and therefore needed to have a lot of storage space. Waldmann had an unusually long tenure of 30 years as sheriff and during this time had a new house built for himself on what is now Erich Hübner Square, near to the oldest town hall (which no longer exists).